Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Snow at the little white cottage

We’ve been under a most persistent temperature inversion around here, and our precious dear glorious sun hasn’t come out in an entire week.  A deep gray veil covers our little world, and wherever you go gloom follows, and it is super cold and dispiriting and the ‘hibernating’ hormones are shifting, and you feel drowsy-sleepy most of the day as cold air remains trapped down at the valley floor and daytime darkness tells your brain to sleep.  I am a sun child and are terribly missing the bright golden sun of the south.

The strangest of all things is, that although we haven’t had our first snow of the season yet, down in the southern hemisphere where the little white cottage rests it had been snowing… I cannot express well enough how very blissfully exultant I was last Friday when we got these photographs… just don’t have words enough!











…and as usual, as it always is, soon the sun will come out again and no matter how cold how gloomy or frosty it may be, it will appear melting gloom and sadness away, kissing your soul with mirth and blessings, as it places warm kisses on the snow-white womb of the land…  because, that's how it is in the South...


Our dear realtor, the beautiful Mary Alice was so graceful and mindful to have gone by the little white cottage just to take these pics for us.  What a treasure they are to me!  Oh how my soul went running back—over the mountains, over distance and logic and silently walked around the little white cottage, taking in the freshness and purity of snow, the silence brought by it, the gentle flapping of wings as birds crossed skies that were too bright, too damped above iced-covered roses, and the murmur of thrashers searching for food in the quieted woods… oh the woods, dark and silent and mystifying my soul as it always had, and down towards the house the pond covered in snow; light reflecting the tall windows on the water; a trembling vision of past days, and a humble, bucolic past that will always live within my soul…





6 comments:

  1. I love watching your home unfold... It seems your soul and spirit are quite in tune with your style in decorating. Such changes brought about by the shift in life we all walk through... but because of your re-locations, your decor follows it more closely, I think. I rather think your blog might be That New House in the Roses! So very different from the first shabby chic days... The white cottage felt different, too... a stepping stone or bridge to this new you/look. I know you feel uprooted, but think how beautifully your flowers and foliage always is after the earth is patted around the stem and a few waterings have warmed the roots.. Adding the sunshine of those beautiful grandchildren... voila! Full bloom again. I love your new look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah my dear friend, you know how to bring sunshine to my heart on cloudy days like these... I truly love to see you here and read your 'love' notes... thank you!

      Love ya!

      Cielo

      Delete
  2. Oh Cielo, this was such a surprise. To see the Little White Cottage again, dressed in her winter finery. So beautiful and also so sad at the same time. I know it is still very hard for you and your soul still sits at your table looking out on the garden waiting for the sun to warm the earth so you go out to welcome the birds of the forest to another glorious day. Even though I didn't always comment I would visit you every day. Your writing has always had the power to take the reader to your world. It was like stepping through the looking glass to a place of magic and happiness where the gifts of nature were the blessings experienced there. You created this space and decorated it with the magic in your heart. I feel like the snow has come to numb the sadness the cottage feels, for as much as you miss it, I know it is mourning the loss of its mistress.
    My words are not meant to make you feel bad, these are the feelings I have when seeing these pictures. I wish you happiness and Christmas blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sherry... you would never know how much I appreciate and value every single comment you leave here in my little house-heart. You brought tears to my eyes, because reading your message was like reading my heart aloud. You capture the essence of my heart like nobody else...

      Thank you for taking time to come by and talking to me my friend.

      Love ya

      Cielo

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thought about
      MY HEART IN THE ROSES. OR
      A ROSE AND SOUL

      Delete