Sunday, January 14, 2018

Grieving...

January 14… is been a month today since mom died.  And all day today I’ve been living with her in my mind, and in my heart, and my soul had been weighted down by a quieted sorrow. 

Coincidentally, today we discovered something very strange that let us to believe that must probably our mother died of negligence by the personnel of the assisted living facility where she was living. 

The night before she died, dad took her blood pressure, which read very high.  Upon informing the employees who were taking care of her that night about it, the owner was called.  Our father was told by the owner that there was nothing to be worried about because mom was already taking medication for high blood pressure.  The following day, she died. 

After we buried our mother our father went back to the facility to collect mom’s belongings, but her blood pressure meter was not there.  He was told by one of the assistant that the owner had come by the night of mom’s death and had taken her blood pressure meter with her… The meter was returned to our father a few days later.  Dad never opened the case where the meter was kept, but today my sister was visiting dad, and she wasn’t feeling well and upon asking dad for mom’s blood pressure meter she discovered something very puzzling.  The meter’s memory had been wiped out (must probably by the owner herself).  But someone had taken the trouble to write by hand on the box our mother’s name and last name, the last time when her blood pressure was checked (that night before her death), and beside all that, it was also written: “Blood pressure 260/130 –she died the following day”.

Was someone trying to tell us something?  Perhaps her nurse, the woman in which arms mom died that following day?  By the way, that woman left her job right after mom died.  A total mystery to us.

Now we’re sure that mom died of an uncontrolled blood pressure that lead to an impending end-organ dysfunction and a heart attack.  Everyone at her assisted living facility should had known that hypertensive urgency indicates that the blood pressure is high enough to cause serious risk of sudden, life-threatening events, but no one worried about it or did anything.  Perhaps our mother didn’t had an organ failure or other immediately life-threatening conditions that very night, but because her blood pressure wasn’t quickly brought under control, it quickly developed into her death.

We were told that our mother died of a heart attack, but it could had been a number of so many other things… “Neurologic end-organ damage due to uncontrolled BP may include hypertensive encephalopathy, cerebral vascular accident/cerebral infarction, subarachnoid hemorrhage, and/or intracranial hemorrhage. Cardiovascular end-organ damage may include myocardial ischemia/infarction, acute left ventricular dysfunction, acute pulmonary edema, and/or aortic dissection. Other organ systems may also be affected by uncontrolled hypertension, which may lead to acute renal failure/insufficiency, retinopathy, eclampsia, or microangiopathic hemolytic anemia.  The history and the physical examination determine the nature, severity, and management of the hypertensive event. The history should focus on the presence of end-organ dysfunction, the circumstances surrounding the hypertension, and any identifiable etiology.”

But we don’t have any history, or medical report because an autopsy was never done.  I don’t know what to do, if left things as they are, if open an investigation or what… I’m grieving, and I think of her constantly.  Should I expand into sad events, into death or should I give thanks for how quickly and painlessly she departed this life?

My mind is in chaos my heart a dried rose.  I take comfort in knowing that the darker the night, the brighter the stars, the deeper the grief, the closer is God…   or is it not?

14 comments:

  1. Dear Cielo, My heart goes out to you. What a nightmare to have to think of when you are grieving.
    I hope you will find peace in knowing that she is out of her pain. I know how deeply you miss your Mother. I feel that same loss with my Father, every single day. There aren't words to describe the loss and pain. Just take each day, one day at a time, and pray often. You will feel comfort and you will go on. All my love, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Sandy... I truly appreciate your words.

      Blessings

      Cielo

      Delete
  2. I agree take one day at a time. You might want to look into the place she stayed. Did this happen before, why did the nurse really leave. Did she know this was not the first time something like this happen? You may not be able to find out the truth about what happen, but if there is something about the place that is not right you may help someone in the future that stays there. Sometimes places like that look good from the outside,
    but if you do a little digging you may find a dark side to the place. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These places are all like that in a way, I suppose... we saw so many, and that one was one of the best... at least that what we thought.

      Cielo

      Delete
  3. What a nightmare Cielo. I always enjoy reading your posts but this one was anything but happy. It brought back memories of things I went through with my mother when she was in an assisted living facility. Like any other business these places only show you what you want to see so your guilt of having to put your loved one in there is eased. The reality is that a lot of these care facilities are short staffed due to cost cutting and the residents are the ones to suffer. You have to be very involved and check on the care your loved one is receiving all the time so they know you are watching what is going on. It is a very difficult situation either way.
    I think this is a decision your family has to make together. If you pursue this legally, there is nothing to be gained for your dear mother, but places like this should not be allowed to operate. A very difficult decision. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nightmare indeed. One that follows me everywhere... thank you dear Sherry. Some days are better than others. But I have to keep trusting my God and living by faith so I can overcome this... thank you for your words and for caring.

      Hugs

      Cielo

      Delete
  4. Yes Cielo, He hears your cry and watches over you... psalm 145.
    May you find peace knowing that your mom is already in God's hands now.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rita I needed to hear this so much!

      Thank you... you were inspired to chose the right words for this moment.

      Hugs

      Cielo

      Delete
  5. Unbelievable. I understand your dilemma. My mother's death, although inevitable, was hastened I believe, by a nurse who misread orders. I feel sad for you. Yes, it sounds as if your mom's nurse did want to tell you something. However, she herself would have the most power and proof to report the facility and she did not, but left. Your family will decide what is best. Just know your mother knew your strong love for her... It is really all we have left for comfort. In two weeks Mom will have been gone a year. I cannot believe that. Love you from Missouri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost a year already... and it only seems it was yesterday. I sometimes think of you and your mom in the midst of my days... thank you my dear friend... for just being you, and being here. I appreciate you.

      Cielo

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry. This story does indeed sound like negligence from the assisted living facility. I agree with what Sherry ^ said in her last paragraph. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest, there is a moment to be born and that special moment when we cross over, back to God. We all second guess what we could have done differently. But only God will decide that moment. I believe our hours are written in the stars. Soon your mom will let you know it is ok. I know your pain only too well. love and hugs, Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan, I cannot thank you enough for this message, the words, the meaning, the selected message, that I know God put in your heart, so you can put it on mine today. This is precisely what I needed; to rest from worrying, to ease my little heart. Knowing that whatever we might have done, or could had done would had not prevented 'that time', because our time and fate is only decided by our Creator, really brings comfort and peace to my heart.... how precious your message, and how timely... thank you and thank you.

      Cielo

      Delete