Monday, January 22, 2018

January...

It has been a brutal January… brutal in many aspects of my life, and this old body does not like winter either.  In the innermost part of my soul it’s been snowing for a while now, and outside is cold and windy and it is the usual January of my yesterdays.  


There are nights when I question our decision to return over and over, and there are days when passed years seem safe ones, vanquished ones, while the future lives in a cloud, daunting from a distance. 


We have been working in the garden step by step—mostly, doing some aggressive pruning on everything that somehow still remains alive out there.  We have eliminated one of the wild grapes, and although we were not able to remove it in its entirety, and roots are still deeply set in the ground, I will make sure those awful shoots won’t stand a chance again. 

There’s yet one or two more grapevines I want to remove as well, and I have cleaned out parts of the flowerbeds where the big fountain now sits.  There's much more to be done in that area, and I will have to pull out from its roots all that groundcover that has taken over everything.  But it will have to be at a later time, when it starts growing again, and I can exactly define where their roots are.  

The roses, including all the climbers, are now pruned down to the ground, and what a respite this has been... to see unpleasant canes gone and cleaned walls ready for a new beginning.  We still have to decide who’s picking up all this trash and debris out of the garden, and I hope it isn't me, because it won't be just a single trip to the dump, and all those long, prickly canes are a most treacherous of things, and the garden is the ultimate most discouraging little place in the whole wide world right now.

If one thing I’m doing differently this time in my garden without the least of remorse, is the callousness under which I’m working.  The affection, the tenderness, all is gone.  I’m pruning aggressively, cutting away with total indifference, and if whatever is left in the garden dies under my brutality, then let it be.  Nothing could be worse than what already is.  So, let be it.     


People ask me why I keep changing things in my house so often and so radically, and perhaps it all has to do with the emotions that are controlling me these days? 


I need to be busy, be occupied in something I love.  Our nest is clean and organized, and I can only do so much outside for now... 


To reconnect with my inner peace, I decorate and redecorate.  My little gypsy room has been the scapegoat of all this craziness going on inside me… this is where I spend a lot of time playing with pretty things... and changing things around again again and again…

 


I had forgotten that when we went to Israel last summer I had brought home with me a lovely assortment of silk scarves that I'm using for different purposes around the house, because they are so big and lush and colorful and pretty!... now, they are embellishing this sofa!




This little corner here is my favorite... 


I love going through pages and pages of home and garden books sitting on the floor...


Plants make me so happy...  so I keep pilling them up!



Every time you see pictures of this couch and this room, I have changed everything about it.  But I think they all look beautiful.





Today, I brought a dead tree from the garden in here... it is to be my magical tree now, and I have embellished it with fairy lights and whatnots...  I will be showing it to you later so I won't bore you.  In the meantime, I will keep busy thinking of whatever else I can do here to keep my sad little heart happy, until the sun comes out again and much needed warmth fills the earth with mirth and joyfulness again...

See you soon my friend!








10 comments:

  1. You will feel better in the garden when the first of Spring arrives. One week from yesterday is the first year alone for me in the world, for it seems we stand so alone without our mothers. They did it. They stood without theirs. I can see it now. We must, as well. My moods change too fast to redefine decor... I am stumped. Glamour? Europe? Bohemian? Farm? Prairie? French Country.... and then I give up and watch Youtube... Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree dear friend… no matter how old we are, we are never immune to the bereaved feelings we’re left with without our mothers… we’re still orphans. My mother lost her mother when she was only 6, and she never stopped talking about her. Now I understand.

      Love you too!

      Un abrazo

      Cielo

      Delete
  2. Hello there, you find words again to write. You suffer from deep losses, yes, keep busy, you must be exhausted ( in Dutch uitgeput )but keep colouring the shades ( for me is was girlish pink and I started healing, a miracle, I must have healed myself this way when I was a child, I quess ). Walk around your neigbourhood again, slowly, just looking, and find yourself a student to help you clean out the garden. And chop away...never mind, who cares, spring will come. Lieve groeten uit Nederland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this! The enthusiasm in your words, the “chop away, never mind, who cares”! the “spring will come”... Thank you... thank you! You transmitted me hope and put a smile on my lips...

      Cielo

      Delete
  3. You are playing with Headers here! Both I have seen, in the last few hours, are much softer, than previous ones. I like this.

    I personally like it. But I like it, for you. Softness, color, speak to me, of you coming "up". Slowly yes, but it has begun. Yesssssss....

    All your playing in your Gypsy Room, has helped, it seems. You are needing color, and sparkle, and softness, and brightness, and change. Oh yes, you need change. And you are doing this, in your Gypsy Room. I am so glad you have this room!!!!!!

    May I go a bit farther, with this....? All this contentment, found in the brightness of your Gypsy Room... Could this possibly mean, that you have gone too stark, in the decoration of your other rooms? Possibly? Maybe? Is there even a tiny chance...?

    Or.... Perhaps the starkness, and spareness, of your other rooms, will be fine, when spring and sun come around? Is there a possibility that it is not best, for this time of transition...? From life in the south, to life in the north..? And for your time of sadness...?

    I know, I am rambling. Just throwing out ideas I have gotten. Please don't be upset with me, for doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never be upset with you... I love love to read you! ;);)

      Love

      Cielo

      Delete
  4. Concerning your garden, you have found it in such disarray, that a clean slate is what is calling you. Yes! Go with what your feeling is. If we listen, we will always hear the voice within us. And it knows what will make us happiest.

    The garden is almost a symbol of how terribly your home was treated, over the past 4 years. You completely re-did the inside. Now, it is time, to do the same, with the outside... The garden.

    When you are through, it will be yours again. It will feel like yours. You will bring it to life, once again. A lovely process to look forward to.

    And I think this process, will help you to bring yourself back "to life" again. Work helps. And you have plenty of work, to do, in this task. Perhaps you can purge some sorrow, at the same time.

    You will never forget. But your memories will bring you comfort. And that is as The Cycle Of Life is supposed to work out.

    Gentle hugs.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... that's exactly how I feel too. I've been listening to what that little inner voice is been telling me when I'm working in the garden, and that's why I'm being ruthless this time. Everything needs to go down to the ground, so that the garden can restart again and come anew... to a new life, a new garden, a new me...

      I can hardly wait to see what will come out of this mess! ;)

      Cielo

      Delete
  5. Glad to know I'm not the only one with a large dead tree branch in my house. :-)
    I'm not a fairy light person, but I do have a bird's nest I found, sitting in the branch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bird's nest... how lovely! I happened to find one while I was working on 'killing' my garden outside the other day. I will have to go back and see if I can find it under all that rubble! ;)

      Blessings!

      Cielo

      Delete