Saturday, June 2, 2018

Life at that old house in the roses

May 31—on the last day of May the painters gave our house a pressure wash—everything got dusted off and cleaned.  Dirt, grime, insect nests, leaves, and big gunk were knocked down.  Then, it rained all day. 

I went to our local Goodwill and found this cute little fountain.  When the painting job is done it will go in the back porch among all my potted plants, or maybe I should put it on the front porch and entertain the passing world to the soothing sound of water?… but for now, it sits on top of the little orange dresser in my gypsy room.  It looks so cute there!


Withered roses look so pretty… I should had left them be for a little longer, but the room had that particular smell typical of old cemeteries from old forgotten villages in some remote Spanish countries… and, I liked it… I do like it, and I should have let the beauty of lifeless roses embellish the room a little longer, after all, their musty scent perfected the soothing sound of water from the small fountain, but I thought the room needed be more organic, or naturalistic for that purpose; like bursting with potted plants, tall plants such as Kentia palms and Philodendrons, and a few hanging baskets like a little oasis of sorts with the scent of old cemeteries lingering on... And thus, I tossed the dried flowers, unplugged the little fountain and left the room. 


Yesterday, everything in the back porch had to be moved onto the garden, away from walls. And furniture and flowerpots in the front porch are now sitting in the living room. We're all excitedly waiting for the painting job to start... but this disarray of things makes me feel a little edgy and I get a little anxious for order to return and for the normality of things again… but all is worth it.    

I was looking at some pictures of exactly one year ago today… to see how life was unfolding back then at the little white cottage… and oh, the pond—my soul hovered over that pond; my wings flapped above the Crepe Myrtles and Butterfly bushes (Buddleia davidii). How lovely, how sunny and flowery and lush and very lovely everything looked, and how my heart wishes for a pond here at this old house in the roses.






I think of mom constantly.  I miss her terribly.  But there are days that are worse than others, and I'd think of her the entire day, and cry for anything, and my little heart is soft under this great nostalgia.  I don’t know why this happens, or why my heart would seek her out so profoundly on certain days more than others.  The beginning of this week it was like that…  and then the entire week.   She lives forever in my broken heart that doesn’t seal back up... I guess I'm still mourning.   


Do people still read blogs anymore? I read a comment the other day where someone was asking that question; favoring Instagram over blogging. It got me thinking. Yes, blogging has certainly changed a lot from what it used to be ten years ago when I started blogging, but then again people who enjoy reading will always read blogs.  I certainly choose blogs over Instagram, which I think is the plateau for a very different generation than mine… so I guess I'll keep blogging, and hope you'll continue coming by to share my little life!  It is so rewarding.

The painters didn’t come by today.  They won’t come tomorrow, neither the following day.  They asked if they could start on Monday instead.  Of course, I was expecting something like that to happen.  Such a good deal, was too good to be perfect!




14 comments:

  1. I don't like Instagram. I feel it is cold and heartless and more of a see what I am doing, bragging type of place. I enjoy your blog and read it every time you post. I really don't care if no one visits my blog because I use it as a journal to look back on when I wonder what was going on at a certain time. Visitors are always welcome of course, but I would never change to Instagram to get visitors.
    I feel the same way as you do except it is my Dad I miss so badly. Somedays are worse then others, but I am always missing him. Someday hopefully the pain will be less and instead of sadness I will feel happy when I think of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Blog! Instagram is just a photo album to me. Your Blog is like reading a letter from a friend! I love how you describe your lovely home and gardens. The pictures are wonderful, but it is your writing that tells how you FEEL about things, and how you have overcome problems, or recreated your home and made it better than before. I feel that I know you and iI am welcome to visit you each time you post. Please keep Blogging (journaling)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So so happy, and honored, and blessed... that you feel that way about my little life shared through words, dear Sandy! And so honored and happy to have you here and see you here from time to time. Your name, which is all I know about you, is your spirit-fragrance, what I see and feel whenever you visit here... it makes me happy, and makes me feel blessed. Thank you for being my friend in this way.

      Hugs to you

      Cielo

      Delete
  3. Oh! I am so glad you popped by my blog so that I could find you again!!! Your name has changed and with that change you dropped from my blog list on my sidebar--and I read from there.
    Can't wait to see your new paint job. You are still down south, right? You didn't move back north? I think the last post I read was when you had driven by your old home when you were visiting.
    I didn't realize that you lost your mom. I am so sorry, Cielo!! God bless you-I know it is a hard journey to lose a parent. I lost my dad when I was but a kid and my mother when I had just turned 30. It does get easier as the days, months and years tick by...but there is still a tender place in the heart that will pulse forward with sweet old teary thoughts when you least expect them.
    Have a wonderful "painty" kind of week- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm one of those who still reads blogs and not just IG. IG is a quick fix. Blogs give you more depth. You really get to know the personality behind the blog, not just some pretty pictures. Oh, of course you're still mourning your mother. That is how it goes - there will be good days and bad days. I know it's a different kind of loss, but I lost my oldest son almost 9 years ago and I still have bad days. Love and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear Melanie, I’m so sorry to hear that… I cannot even begin to fathom what you must had gone through losing a child. A heartache that never ceases… thank you for sharing this with me and may our Heavenly Father continue pouring his blessings and peace upon you and yours.

      Hugs

      Cielo

      Delete
  5. I think Sandy Lewis above said it perfectly. Yes. Please keep blogging! My mom will be gone 8 years this coming August. I will always miss her, but it does get a little easier as time goes on. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will always live in our hearts...

      Hugs to you Joanie!

      Cielo

      Delete
  6. I enjoy looking at a few pictures on Instagram but it doesn't compare to reading a blog and feel like I am part of that person's life. I enjoy reading all your posts. Hope the painters don't keep you waiting too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginney, they are here... they are here! ;) I'll share the story soon!

      Cielo

      Delete
  7. Yes, you are still in mourning. It will take a while and it will get better but I still miss my mom and it's been almost 50 years. I prefer to read blogs over Instagram. I like more than one picture and I like the story behind the picture. I look forward to the reveal of the paint job. I'm so glad you are still blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve been reading your blog for several years now and love it!! IG is lovely but brief and not the spirit you show in your writing!You have such a beautiful gift and joyously share it with others!! Thank-you!!

    ReplyDelete