Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Painting the exterior of our house...

June 4—on this beautiful sunny summer day, I started my day with a sense of heaven.  Blue, clear skies welcomed me to the new day, and by eight sharp the painters arrived.  I went out for my daily morning run and when I came back I was surprised to find them still there.  For some reason, I had this idea that I was not going to find them there upon my return, but they were already taping off windows and filling holes and such.  What a relieve!  We’re finally painting our home!




Later, I went out to do some errands while the painters worked on the house, then decided to stop at Lowes.  My beautiful Savannah rose had to be returned.  The poor thing had never prospered.  From the very first day I planted it, it started dying away.  This had never happened to me before, not even in my very firsts years of gardening.  I blame myself for not having watered the plant enough, right after it was planted, or maybe for not having make a deeper hole, or maybe it was the ants?  There’s a colony of them living right in front of where I’d planted this rose.  Whatever the reason may be, it died, and I didn’t want to wait a day longer waiting to see if it was going to get better.  I’m done with that. 

I didn’t see a specific rose that I liked for that space at Lowes, so instead of buying whatever they had out there, I bought a lovely Sweet William in deep brilliant red.  


I also came home with a new plant—a Kangaroo Paws plant.  That’s the name.  I felt in love with it from the very first time I saw it.  Like a lover I kept thinking about it, and I think I might had even dreamed about it… or maybe was it only those very first illusive thoughts right after waking up when you can’t tell if you were dreaming or just thinking or remembering something?  The thing is, I had to get it!  And thus, I did.  I already had the pot.  A beautiful ceramic pot for which I didn’t had a plant.  Perfect!  Just perfect!



My house in going to be bursting with potted plants this winter.  I am already considering this, for I already had so many of them last winter.  Now, I have doubled that amount, with all the new geraniums I have planted this spring. 

By mid-day a couldn’t see a single thing outside.  It was like being shut-in in some quiet cocoon of sorts… It was the painters putting painter’s plastic in every window.  It felt cozy, but somewhat claustrophobic.



At 3:00 I made a coladita (Cuban coffee because three of them painters are cubans) and called the guys in for a break. Coffee, cookies, cold bottled water and coke, in case some of them wanted some. 

June 5—the real job has started!  The ‘real’ painting day has come, the first dabs of paint have been dispensed, and now the front of the house is almost done.  This is going fast, the guys have been working since 8:00 this morning, and I’m loving every corner, every column every trim in the new colors!   I’ve been feeding these guys two or three times a day... watermelon, fruits, bread, coke, juices, cold water, cookies, and they are loving all this attention.  I don't have to do this, but I do.  They deserve it all—working so hard under the scorching sun so I can be happy! 






While the workers painted outside I decided to paint inside.  And thus, this plain Jane terracotta pot got a new look with acrylic paint.


I’m not an artist, and I’m very sloppy, but ideas are plenty, and this is what I came up with… something to match the overall décor of the house.  I’m loving it!


June 6—the first painters came quite early this morning, I saw them heading down the road as I was already out there jogging.  They waived and continued on towards the house.  This is going fast.  The preparation of the house, is what really takes more time.  Spraying is something of a second nature to these guys.  And everything is looking magnificent, all the columns already gleaming in extra white, just as I had envisioned.  People around here don’t go for that, and I cannot understand why.  They paint their houses in one or two colors, but the columns and garage doors are always painted in that same color of the body.  No contrast, no difference.  Not to mentioned those boring front doors.  Is, as if people don’t have eyes to fathom beauty ahead of time, or before things are done.  I’ve already foreseen my house just the way I wanted it long time ago.   And every corner and every color chosen perfect.





They will be working on the highest parts of the house today, including trims and front door.  Is 9:44am, and I have already feed them on coffee and croissants.  They are so appreciative.  And so am I. 



8 comments:

  1. Looking great and the painters look very professional. I sure hope they meet your expectations at finish time. Choosing paint colors can be so tricky. For that matter, picking colors can be a challenge in general but for house paint the challenge jumps a couple notches higher! Sounds like you are doing your best to keep your workers happy with good food and drink. I like to do the same when I have workers for more than a day. I plan to get my house painted in the fall. Need to get some estimates, soon. The new house paint color will showcase your beautiful garden colors with a lovely background. I am thrilled for you. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary... yes yes, I love how the new paint color provides a lovely backdrop for our gardens; particularly the deep red roses! It looks so pretty!

      Cielo

      Delete
  2. Sooooo love the gray and white!!!

    Love!

    Love!

    Love!

    Love!

    Love!

    Love!

    :-))))))))))))

    And can't wait for the yellow door!!!!!

    Who knows? Perhaps you will start a trend?!?

    Some more imagination, in the look of the houses, around you?

    :-))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For now I'm the only one with a yellow front door... and I'm loving it! ;)

      Cielo

      Delete
  3. I love the grey. Our house was grey when we first built it and I have wanted to go back to that color for a while. My daughter painted hers grey with a turquois door. It is stunning! Your's will be too! Congrats on getting it done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Grays are my favorite paint colors when it comes to decorating my house; inside and outside.... ;)

      Cielo

      Delete
  4. It is gorgeous. I can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete