Monday, September 10, 2018

Home and gardens

Sept 4 -- Last week I worked long and exhausting hours in the garden, making sure that I started preparing it for winter, so as not to have to do all that work that must be done out there when it is already too cold and dreary to worry about it. Thus, aside from all I did, I also dug out from the ground a few of the precious blue hostas that were being eaten up by bugs and put them on pots.  



I have found out that around here, hostas grow better in pots than on the ground, and keeping them on pots has to their advantage that they can be moved easily to their preference.  Sun or shade, or semi shade.  They also do well during winter, and will come out again in the spring time after time.



Now that the weather has mellowed down and the days have acquired that certain tint and awesomeness of pre-autumn, all the roses have been putting new shoots again; growing taller and healthier, and what a happy thing it is to see my Paradise rose growing stronger, and putting new plum shoots the color of sweet wine, as it becomes wider, and taller.  This special rose took a little bit to get established, but finally it is getting there.  Flowers still thriving in the pre-autumn garden have revived, and everything is looking beautiful and full and it is like a second spring.




Sep 6 -- The crab-apple trees are swollen up with their tart fruits and the grapevines are teeming with puffed-up grapes that soon will be swapping their green colors for the colors of wine and ripe plum...  





From our windows on the upper floors, far down onto the horizon I see the landscape shifting into the shades of pink cotton candy and sweet lemon lime in front of my eyes. The panorama, littered with tiny golden specks of light. The earth has started to spin into its magical cycle.  And we wistful creatures of the land would wait, and get ready to start cozying up our furrows and lairs, and build us a warm nest by candlelight.


Just the still melancholy that I love — that makes life and nature harmonize. 




Today, I wore my mustard color vintage boots, jean leggings and that new top resembling an autumnal garden in colors and design.  I felt young and happy, and totally out of season, because although nature is changing fast around here, temperatures are still in the 80’s, and it was hot and people are still wearing their shorts and sandals.


Sept 05—our new mattress finally arrived, but the box springs were too thick… so big they were, that only with a ladder we could had climbed into bed... So, I send them back and ordered new ones.  Now, we shall wait another 7 to 10 days to finally be able to have our new bed pleasantly completed. 

Sept 07—Yesterday, I cancelled the smaller boxes I ordered, and went and bought new ones from another store that did had them on stock.  I couldn’t wait another day, so alas, we went to pick them up today, and now our new bed is looking awesome!




What have you been doing lately?  Anything fun, special or pleasantly the same?  Do share!

See you around!



  

4 comments:

  1. Cielo, I sure enjoy your visits. You have become such a dear friend. I have enjoyed your gardens and your home transformation. I am also one who loves the peace and quiet of nature. Solitude is bliss for me. Have a wonderful week! -Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy! I enjoy your company around here too!

      Be blessed my friend!

      Cielo

      Delete
  2. It ha been so unusually hot here in Michigan, that I haven't been able to be outside, cutting back the garden. It looks so shabby, with it's dead Lily plants and Coneflower stems. The hedges and other bushes are so raggedty. I am hoping next week the weather will moderate into the mid 70's that I love so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy... it is so cold here today! 20 degrees less than just a few weeks ago... ouch!

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete