Saturday, June 13, 2020

The Dr. Huey roses...

I am so glad I decided to keep this wild rose bush standing.  The spring we moved back to our house in the roses, I removed about 5 or 6 rose bushes from the garden... these were roses that had become wild... however, on wanting to experiment with one and see what'd happen, I left this one standing.  Later, that spring I started training it up the wall.  And I am so glad I did what I did.  For what a beautiful, beautiful display they are at the beginning of the spring! 


These are what came out of my original roses, which were grafted onto Dr. Huey rootstock which sends out incredibly long canes like a rambler...


They grow and grow and grow such big canes.  This rose blooms only once, and after its done putting on its flowers in early spring, it is done until the following year.  It is no rose for a garden for sure and I should had removed it that spring, as I did with the rest of all those roses which had reverted back to Dr. Huey... 


...but even without flowers for the rest of the year, I thought their green leaves would have to be better than looking at a bared big wall.  And I was right! 


 ...what a show they are at the beginning of spring!


One thing I have noticed with these roses is, they have an unfortunate tendency to mildew, and as it has been, this is my fourth time treating them thus far... they do respond to treatment, but what a shame it is to see the beautiful blood-red buds belittled under such infestation.


Birds love to built their homes in this area of the garden, they come and go and babies are born here as if it is a magical garden... because, well, I really think it is! 


And the secret garden bloomed and bloomed and every morning revealed new miracles (Frances Hodgson Burnett


5 comments:

  1. That is beautiful. Could you plant a clematis to grow up the rose canes and bloom all summer? Try a Jackmanii. They bloom from Spring to first freeze. I'm sure there are others that do too, but I love my Jackmanii's. (-: Do you use systemic for the disease control on the rose? I tried that this year and it worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh never thought about that... a clematis!! Such a good idea Cindee! I can already picture it... oh I will I will add a clematis there!!! I feel so excited about it now!

    Thank you for the great idea Cindee!! 🌷😚⚘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clematis don't like to have 'hot feet', so plant something low and somewhat dense around the roots of the rose and clematis to keep the roots cool.

      Delete
  3. Found this rose growing as a sprig on a very large old house I just purchased two years ago and decided to see what it was. Let me tell you despite what gardeners have been told this rose is AMAZING! I will tell you it us now over 8 feet wide and as tall and is the first thing anyone ever notices and comments when they enter my large rose garden.It deserves to live like any other beautiful rose especially after being the backbone of SO MANY grafted rose! Absolutely beautiful and I am so fortunate to have found Dr Huey!

    ReplyDelete