Friday, February 9, 2018

Of a garden...

…and it’s been enough sunshine, and it’s been enough warmth around here these last few weeks, so that I have been working hard in the garden every day now… all that debris from the pruning and cleaning of these past weeks had been collected and trashed, and again, the yard is bursting with more… more branches and roots; more fragments of yesterdays…




I have removed two more old vines; supports and all, and now the walls where they had stood are finally free of all that ‘accumulation of years’ that was hidden among overwhelming branches.   


The huge blue spruce pine is looking much better now without the lower branches and under it, well hidden underneath much pine needle and a thick mantle of uncontrolled ivy, I made a marvelous discovery… the little dried creek that on a long-ago happy summer day my dear precious mother and I created.  


Ah, I had long forgotten about it, but there it was… still there, just as we had left it many years ago…


What bittersweet special moment it was discovering it.  The very instant my hands touched the first stones, I knew—all memories came rushing back… to that long ago day, to her, to me, to where we stood in life back then and where we now are… tears running down my face as I unearthed and cleaned those stones… such forgotten treasure; a silent prayer reposing on quiet lips. A heavenly promise.  A hopeful heart.  A new and better tomorrow.


What did we talk about while we carried those stones, one by one, onto this little ‘sacred’ space of ours?  And what did we laughed about as we lay stone by stone on the ground?  Because, surely, we must have had laughed...  We always laughed whenever we were together… whether it was working alongside, or walking arm in arm in a cramped mall, or when in the car, or cooking or whatever we were doing… we always laughed.  She would say something funny—whatever it was, and I would immediately let my little heart loose, laughing out loud… joy pouring from our pores… always loving, always close. Oh, I so miss her.  I miss her terribly…


Miracles are happening everywhere.  God is near...


It’s been quite the ordeal pulling out all that awful ivy by hand, and as body, hands and head bend down to the ground pulling, perspiring, and hoping, from the other side of the fence comes the obnoxious barking… new neighbors, other dogs, a new life, a new year, but always that same territorial insistence of the animal, renouncing to share the land…. And thus, all peace gone.  



The other day, while cleaning and removing more branches and debris, I discovered that the earth is already teeming with new life! Beautiful, green heads are already popping out of the ground everywhere.  Tulips! Tulips, that I had planted long ago, always faithful.  Always the first ones each year to return to the garden…



Hope... blessed hope.  I have so many things I want to share; a little story, a wonderful little miracle, of faith and friendship with my Creator... but it will be later.  Soon.  In the meantime, live to believe in Him who strengthens us…

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,

And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

(Emily Dickinson)


12 comments:

  1. Ah that brought tears to my eyes. How I Miss my Dad. We were close like you and your Mom. I think of him all the time. We did so much together. He helped build our house. So a lot of history here too. I am so glad you found your creek bed. I am sure your Mom was guiding you there to it. I know you will get everything all fixed up. Its hard work, but so much joy when you are done. I am working hard here too. My body is worn out from working. Taking a break then back to it. Enjoy your weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so understand you, dear Cindee... "and ever has it been known that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation"...

      Love

      Cielo

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful discovery. A treasure just waiting for you to rediscover and to connect again with your dear Mother. You are tending your part of the world and will make it your own paradise again. I'm glad you've returned to your house in the roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much... I love it, the idea that I'm tending my own "paradise"... it makes me happy! Yes, it is a hard work, but all worth it, right! Can hardly wait to see the fruits of my labor... ;)

      Hugs

      Cielo

      Delete
  3. As I said on IG, last night.... What a wonderful discovery! Of the stones your mother and you laid, years ago. A gift... To have discovered them again.

    Wisps of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah there you are! So so happy to see you back! A new blog? Must go check!

      Hugs to you Ms. Luna!

      Cielo

      Delete
  4. Rogue vines! The worst! Unchecked, they will make any property resemble Sleeping Beauty's Castle. We fight them here too. I used to "love" to spend a morning, pruning the rogue vines off the fence around the in-ground pool.

    But it is a never ending task. Left alone for awhile, as your yard has been, they run rampant. This task, in itself, will bring hope and life back to your garden.

    Untrained dogs. Barking dogs. They have no place, in residential neighborhoods. Does your area have any noise laws? It might be worthwhile to inquire. And to record, what you have to listen to... For proof.

    I am so sorry you have to return to the same barking issues, you had, years ago. {{{{{{Cielo}}}}}}

    Wisps of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... that's one of the things I miss the most from our little white cottage... the space between neighbors, the silence, the peace... it seems I'm surrounded by dogs here... and I am not a dog person I guess... ;) Any kitties out there? Please do come by ;)

      Cielo

      Delete
  5. Oh I know that feeling when you unearthed the stone creek. My Mother and I did a lot of landscaping and gardening together. We even built a cement patio block seating area in my newly planted garden when I moved to my new home. She knew exactly how to do everything. My daughter lives in that home now, so I still get to see that seating area, but so unkempt, it makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such special 'monument' to you... something to remind you of your dear mother every time you see it... sad that it hasn't been kept, but at least that house belongs to your daughter and you can still visit and treasure all those memories...

      Hugs to you dear Judy!

      Cielo

      Delete