Friday, March 2, 2018

Winter blues...

February 28

I always knew I didn’t like January or February... but I had forgotten why when we moved south.  So fast the soul forgets about the perils of yesterday when you’re happy!  But, we're back here again, back to the land of snows.  And I haven’t been feeling well for so long now, that I have forgotten how to smile wide and hard inside.
 
The big square table hasn’t been used in a long time either—not for breakfast, or lunch or dinner any more, like we used to.  It was always a happy table back at the little white cottage, a throne of sorts where we would enjoy hours eating, or reading, or just looking at the glories outside at any time of day, any time of the year. 




I used to embellish it with whatever I had on hand… little things that make me happy, flowers, candles, a plant or two, books...  


But now the table sits in a room all to itself with windows that overlook the street on one side and to a neighbor’s house on the other.  It is not a pleasant thing to have to look at your neighbor’s old car parked across your window... so close, that you can almost reach out and touch it, or his huge trailer on the back, always erasing the sky from my sight.

And thus, I can’t find a place to ‘land’ here—so it seems.  A place where I feel comfortable enough, and happy enough to just sit and be.  It has to be, of course, a place from where I can look outside and contemplate the world outside my windows.  I work upstairs, on the second floors, where my only view are the rooftops and the revelation of the far away mountains.  For that I am thankful.  There’s a single tree too, tall enough to be seen from the bay window where I sit and work, and sometimes a flock of birds would fly by to it and rest for a while on thin naked branches. But that's about it.

 
March 2

By early evening every drop of snow had melted away. Rivers of water poured forth from above and below cleaning the skies, cleaning the earth.  And thus, the wheel of time is turning.  If I look outside my window I can corroborate it.  Shadows are gathering up in little cumulus of light, and the slant of cheerless wintry glow that surfaces around mid afternoon over the somnolent garden is slowly shifting... slowly; very slowly... things are changing.  

If I pay close attention to my surroundings, I can see only blue against the last remnants of white, and the evening light is promising; it carries within itself a faint intonation of spring...  Hope!

"For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience" (Romans 8:24-25). 



8 comments:

  1. Well, Cielo, it sounds like you have your first project or PRIORITY. I am not sure what would be worse for me, but I think I would need to first plant something that blocks the view of the neighbor. I don't know how much room you have to work with or if there are any neighborhood covenants to keep you from building anything. I would have your talented Fisherman build or buy some sort of pergola that can support a climbing rosebush or anything that keeps it leaves, all year long, in that part of the country. Or plant shrubs that can grow into a privacy hedge to block out the ugly view of their yard...and keep THEM from enjoying the beauty on your side, that YOU will soon create!
    On the busy street side, plant a rose garden. You will enjoy the view. People passing by will be enjoying the roses and not be so interested in looking in your window!
    Still wishing I was there to help create and help with the work. Post pictures as you make progress! -Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, you gave me such a good idea... to put a fence in front of that car and plant a climbing rose! I mentioned this to the Fisherman and he said we don't have enough space there to put up a fence. Yes, I can reach out and touch that car, but I truly love the idea, and I still want to do it! Thank you for the encouragement!

      Hugs

      Cielo

      Delete
  2. Beautiful thoughts! I know what you mean about having ugly views out your windows. I have lived in this house almost 28 years and I still don't like the fact that we are surrounded by close neighbors on all sides. Here in the living room where I sit with my laptop, my view is of the neighbor's garage that is rotting and falling down. There is a huge tree by the garage, but in the winter it's bare, of course. I can't wait til it fills with leaves again and that will be my view. Out my kitchen window, it's the other neighbor's garage and what he lovingly calls his "weed garden". Yes, he lets the weeds by his garage grow all season. Never chops them down. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Mel! That's terrible.... and I totally understand! And ah yes, spring is coming! ;)

      Cielo

      Delete
  3. I do hate that closed in feeling. I miss my country home with the nearest neighbor 1/4 mile away and unseen house. I have my living room arranged so that my view, from my recliner, is of bird/squirrel feeders, Lilac bushes and Rose of Sharon with just a tiny bit of the neighbor's house--then a wet land area with tall trees beyond. I spend a lot of time in this front room, which is my computer/office, with valances at the top windows and tier curtains on the bottom. When I sit in my chair all I see are trees and sky out the top windows. I think it is the only things that keeps me sane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy it sounds you have a little paradise where to surround yourself in... how lovely it sounds!

      Cielo

      Delete
  4. Oh,I understand Cielo... but I'm sure you will find a way to make it better.
    :))
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will.... but I tell you, it's been very hard thus far! ;)

      Cielo

      Delete