Thursday, April 19, 2018

A recount

April 4—Today, I replanted more irises, and I also decided it was time to plant all those bulbs I bought last months, and which instructions on box said to wait until the middle of April to plant.  I planted them anyway.  They were already putting forth some shoots, and some didn't look too promising; desiccated, and parched.  Some of them, I planted on pots…


I noticed that there are so many tiny things growing in the flowerbeds.  Some, I can tell, are weeds, but I’m afraid I will be also pulling out some lovely little things if I decide to take them out.  So I didn't.  

Yesterday, I bought a lovely composition of pink geraniums and some tall, upright plant that add the height to the arrangement, to embellish our front porch with, although it is not time yet.  Therefore, they should remain inside until much later.  I also bought two kinds of hostas. I don’t know if perhaps I’m too early to plant them, but I’m so eager to start seeing some life in the garden.  The bare-root roses I planted last month haven’t establish any root yet, I can tell, because almost every other established rose in the garden are already starting to fill with young green leaves, but no sign of life on these two yet.  No improvement, and I’m starting to think that maybe they won’t make it.  The roses planted under our bedroom window, however, are doing marvelous.  They are bursting with life and new shoots and I can tell they are loving all that good soil and fertilizing.  

Today, I also planted those Bird of Paradise bulbs.  I put them all in the big flower pot, and hope that they do well there, because I couldn’t find a place for them on the ground.  I want everything to be in perfect order in the garden this time; everything where they should be, and nothing growing without my permission, allowed.

The birds have returned to the garden, and they are putting forth such a glorious rioting of songs and flapping of wings and happiness in my life!




April 16—Coming back from sunny Florida to our chilly days are always such a disappointment.  And thus, the same icy mornings and same cold afternoons until past two, the same bitter winds, and the same pulling of weeds and reconstruction of the garden under unconquerable discomforts.  However, the land is being slowly waking up.  Nature does not care about the insistence of wintriness or frost or chilly winds, it continues its course no matter what.  Life, cannot be abated by the thoughtlessness that so distract my soul, and body.  And for this, I am thankful!




What a glorious sight the flowering crabapple tree was upon our arriving, the following morning!  All those deep pink blossoms, all the scent, all the new promises of sunny, warm days in a new garden. I could have not asked for a better, or a more glorious welcome to the land of yellows and browns!





April 18—I've been working incessantly in the garden for the past three days.  The front gardens had to be re-worked on again, as I didn’t quite finish the work there before heading south, and weeds had filled the pea pebble pathway, entrance to the garden again, and had to be removed.  Tuesday and Wednesday, it was the back gardens and the removing of unwanted weeds and the awful roots of the mint.  I cleared off a bed that was filled with growing phlox and pink narcissus, columbines and another little flower of which I have no name for—all beautiful, and healthy, I’m sure, but my idea of this ‘renovated’ garden has a more aesthetic look, and not wanting the disorderly look of the cottage garden I had removed them all and replanted them towards the end, along the fence, and empty parts where, hopefully, they will continue to grow and fill the spaces gloriously.   

The cherry tree in our front porch is blooming profusely, I cannot, and would not take my eyes and soul apart from it, as its glories are so fleeting... 


And alas, as with everything in life, one day you have them only to find them gone the following…  



I will continue working on the back today, and hope to finish painting the remaining of the furniture that had been postponed for way too long.  On Sunday we will work on re-staining the floors on the back porch and retouch parts of the fence.  It’s been said that we will reach the 70’s next week, and I am looking forward to this thought—thoughts of sunshine and warmth on my shoulders and back as I work the grounds.  Nothing hurts, nothings is done in anguish when my soul can feel the purifying, renovating warmth and brilliance of the sun…


“Even 
After 

All this time

The Sun never says to the Earth,



"You owe me."


Look
What happens
With a love like that,
It lights the whole sky.” 
― Hafiz

LINKINT TO:

KEEP IN TOUCH


5 comments:

  1. Today, our TV weather man proclaimed: "Winter is over!"
    We will warm up into the 60's next week. I can't wait to get outside and into cleaning up my gardens!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when the crab apple blooms. It smells so wonderful. Ours blooms in May. We don't have a cherry tree though. Yours looks so pretty. I bet it also smells wonderful. Spring is my favorite time. A lot of work but a lot of beautiful blooms to enjoy! We are going to hit the 80's here next week! Summer here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve also been working daily in my gardens. Your little paradise is taking on such a beautiful, loved and tended look! I’m so happy for you! Hugs from Sandy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preciosps los arboles con la flor yo tengo un cerezo que esta precioso no va poder con las cerezas aqui en EspaƱa ya tenemos el calorcon nosotros esta semana fue muy agradable besos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous. I was thrilled to see your link. I can't wait to catch up on your lovely house in the roses.

    ReplyDelete