Sunday, June 30, 2019

Recount

At the beginning of this spring I removed from the garden two more rose bushes that had gone wild.  I didn’t have the heart, however, to do with the last remaining few—those Dr. Huey single petaled blood read roses, with the real scent of roses… I just couldn’t do it!

So, they have remained… these roses bloom only once at the beginning of the spring and then they’re done until the following year… a true waste, but what a show they are in early spring for that just those few weeks!  

 

Because they grow such long canes, I decided to take advantage of the fact, and make them a climbing rose… so I tied their long canes onto some support assembled on the wall, and now I don’t have any bare walls… cause I just don’t like bare walls… they must have something on them; a rose climbing on it, a mirror to reflect light, a frame a whimsical something to remind the visitor that a garden is also the gardener’s house… 

 

And what it’s happening with the robins in this magical garden, one would have to wonder!  You see, they have overtaken the garden and made of it some sorts of a mystical gigantic nest… so many of them everywhere, such a hush-hush of wings and robin songs... they swoom over my head really low, they make nest that perhaps it is imperative that we change the name of this old house in the roses to something else… something more appropriate, like robin nest… or robin landings?

In fact, the other day a momma robin began making her nest in the underside part of the patio umbrella where the poles are… that same umbrella which I’m constantly opening and closing and moving around, depending on the position of the sun. I already had experience how robins love to make their nest in unusual places… like in the porch, too close to humans and I already know how unsettled these birds can later be when one approaches them… I couldn’t stand another year of this constant nervousness of the bird, the scurrying off of wings and then the bulling, because I tell you, they can be pretty aggressive if you get too close to their nest… so, I didn’t have to think it twice this year before removing the nest; closed the umbrella and forgot about the matter… sorry Mrs. Robin!


…until I saw the poor little thing all disoriented and unsettled, frantically looking for her nest… I saw her flying from branch to branch for quite a while and then perched herself up on top of the umbrella and looked at the sky, as if praying… where is my nest?

I felt so bad… then hours later I heard a loud boom… and when I went outside, I found her laying dead in front of my door.  she apparently flew onto the window and died before she could even figure out where to hatch their babies...



Life is a continuation of dreams and we’re continuing on making dreams, traveling to places such as Cartagena, Colombia, Georgia and Yellowstone… we are planning on yet another trip to Madrid, Spain in the fall, kids are tying up the knot, new daughters becoming part of our family by marriage; grandbabies growing up.  Life is full of beauty. Notice it?  Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.


Infuse your life with action. Don't wait for it to happen. Make it happen. Make your own future. Make your own hope. Make your own love. And whatever your beliefs, honor your creator, not by passively waiting for grace to come down from upon high, but by doing what you can to make grace happen... yourself, right now, right down here on Earth.







3 comments:

  1. Cielo, what a wonderful and inspiring message to start the week on. Very empowering. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the roses but that is so very sad about the robin. I know you have a tender heart like I do and hate to see things like this happen. xoDiana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel very sad for the Robin. I can understand how you felt about not wanting it there to disturb the peace etc. but I guess Mrs. Robin thought it was her place to be. RIP dear Robin.
    The rose will be beautiful next spring blooming on your wall. Those old roses are sure pretty just such a short blooming time. In the old days it was a blaze rose that would bloom on long canes for just the spring. Now so many new ones have taken it's place.

    ReplyDelete