Thursday, June 7, 2018

Painting our house - second part

June 06—the Marigold yellow front door was painted just right before the painters gave it a quits for the day... 


It wasn’t even 2:30pm yet, when I brought out a tray of watermelon, coffee served in demitasse cups and some ginger cookies for them to enjoy… right on time, because I had no idea they were almost getting already for parting, after a hard day of work...   





From inside the house I could hear their happy laughter and enjoyment as they rested and ate what I'd brought them.  Then, in a matter of minutes one by one got into their vehicles and disappeared down the road to their own little lives… I don’t know why, I felt sentimental right there and then, as if a great loneliness had invaded me all of a sudden; for I was already missing hearing all the hubbub and laughs going on outside all day long as they worked.

I thought of mom, and of how I miss her, I thought of dad, and of how terribly lost and lonely he must feel without her, and for a fraction of time I too thought of all the lonely people in the world and how heavy God’s heart must feel suffering the entire world upon His compassionate shoulders. 




I don’t know what my Marigold yellow door had to do with any of that, but those were my thoughts right there and then.  I was not supposed to close the freshly painted door for another two more hours, so for a long while I sat at the doorstep and stayed there… deep in thoughts as I reflected on life, and on my many blessings, and on why God let my child-like faith and trust in Him be shattered into million pieces that very morning by the gigantic Rottweiler that escaping his domains came upon me while jogging... I could still feel the massive head pushing against my thigh.  And I was so sure God was right by my side... 

June 07—by 7:30am, I was already ready to go out for my morning jog, but first, I wanted to see how my little world looked outside my Marigold yellow door and, to welcome the new morning as best I know—by inhaling it through my senses so I could keep it tucked in my soul throughout my entire day.  When I went outside, Santos and Raymond had just arrived, and were ready to tackle the top parts of the house before the sweltering sun of June started warming up the land.


Yesterday after the painters left, I went to examine the back of the house, and what a pleasant little surprise I found there!  On Monday, I’d brought home with me the cutest, but old and wobbly little iron table from our local thrift store.  My plan was to get it fixed and then paint it the same Marigold yellow color as our front door, so I could put it outside with some flowerpots.  The only setback was, I didn’t know how to fix the wobbly problem thing.  

I happened to mention that to the painters one morning, and now my little table had been fixed, and it was looking marvelously firm and beautiful in her new life.   


You see, at some point during the day, one of the painters, a gentle Mexican man by the name of Mr. Torres had it fixed it for me without me knowing it. I guess, in appreciation for my kindness and all the goodies I offered them?  And I didn't even had the chance to thank him properly, because his job was done, and I never got to see him again.  How sad I felt.  

Today, only two of the six painters came in to finish up whatever was left from yesterday, and the house, including its premises, felt soundless and emptied.  

I almost wished I were the Alicia from the Grand Hotel TV series; that girl who lived in an early 20th century aristocratic hotel with her family during the reign of King Alfonso XIII, and whose life was all about the mysteries that involved her family and the hotel servants, always busy, always bursting with people and interesting happenings.

Can you tell I’m feeling kind of lonely these days?  I truly, most truly enjoy my little life away from the office, but there are times when I need ‘people’… need to feel their nearness hear them talk, laugh, know I’m alive.  I’m a case I guess.

The backyard is a total disarray of broken branches and stomped on plants.  But what can I say?  I should have expected that to happen, being already June and all the plants in full growth.  But that’s how long it took me to find the proper guys to work on our home.  Six whole months!  And I’m so glad it all happened the way it happened.  Because, I got to meet some very wonderful hardworking people, upon whose souls I am placing all of God’s goodness, and blessings, for them and for their families.  


The job is not finished yet.  Santos and his guys will be here again early tomorrow morning to finish things up and take care of all last details.  Then, he will hose down the front porch and even help me put the furnishing back there, he said.  Then, I can finally show you around!

I can hardly wait to see everything cleaned and freshly painted. I don’t have enough hours in my day to enjoy all the little things as much as I want.  Everything is so precious, and I’m so fortunate God thought of me in His divine plan of creation and salvation.  “O Lord, who lends me life, lend me a heart replete with thankfulness” (William Shakespear).


4 comments:

  1. It is looking nice and cannot wait to see it all. So nice of the man to fix your table and paint it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God has a way of just spreading His blessings and joy on us at the most unexpected times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything so far. The door is beautiful. So wonderful you had your table repaired and painted. It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that he fixed your table and gave it a splash of yellow paint. The house looks great.

    ReplyDelete