Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Succulents and the bohemians

Last month, my friend Christina surprised me with a terracotta pot of delightful little plants from her very own garden... all in a variety of fun colors, textures, and shapes! Enough to say I was immediately smitten!  I’m referring to succulents.


I decorated my first terracotta pot of succulents using some acrylic paint.  Not a perfect job, but I’m so loving it!


When before I didn’t even know they existed (or care for them), now I seem to see succulents everywhere in stores and nurseries.  Lowes, particularly, has quite the collection of beautiful planters filled with them… they are all beautiful, all have different designs and textures in stems and leaves, and they look awesome in whatever pot you chose to put them in.


Last week, I decided to make myself a few more pots of succulents. I spent a few hours at Lowes deciding on which arrangement I wanted to bring home, but they are cheaper if you buy the pots separately and plant them yourself... so that's what I did!


I’m sure I will be making more succulent pots in the coming months; particularly during our plant-less winter months. And I already know exactly where they should go, once they'll be brought in for winter... on my little vintage bookcase under the window in my gypsy room!


This cute bookcase has quite the story!  I first discovered it at one of our local thrift stores many months ago.  I could tell it was the creation of some artistic soul out there—unique, and kind of vintage looking. I felt in love with it immediately, but my minimalist soul insisted I didn't need it, and thus, I left it.  But you know how it goes... I went home wishing I had bought it, unfortunately, when I went back looking for it, it was already gone.  What an astounding surprise it was seeing it again some months later at the same store!  Someone must had bought it and then brought it back again I guess, and this time, I didn't even have to think twice before snatching off the tag and claiming it mine.  It was mean to be mine, I'm sure!

So this bookcase will be my plant station under the eastern windows this winter... there, where our precious winter sun warms the house the strongest around 5:00pm... right now, it is holding quite the assortment of things...




I can already foresee my succulents sitting here...


Super cute, don't you think so!


For some strange reason, succulents speak to my bohemian heart like no other plant.  So what better place to put them around the house than in my bohemian room?  


Do you love succulents?

18 comments:

  1. I notice your picture of the dashing young man, in the gold oval frame, in 4 pictures. :-)

    I've never gotten much into them, other than when we had 'hens and chickens' growing. But they are quite sweet. And so nice, to have something, to grow in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.... isn't he gorgeous? I was in love with him in another life... he never paid attention to me, though... now I understand--I think he might had been gay! ;):) Take a second look at him, and you tell me! lol

      Love ya!

      Cielo

      Delete
  2. I have never really grown succulents other than an aloe plant---but my mother loved them and had several. That is an awesome piece and will be perfect for plants this winter. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to tell you that I have never once that I can remember gone back to see if someone left me a comment. But I remembered I had asked you the question about -did you move? I just can't BELIEVE that you have moved back to your old sweet home. I know that you must be meant to be there. God puts some unexpected turns in our lives, doesn't He? So glad you are "home". xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed He does! We still cannot believe it!

      Hugs to you NanaDiana!

      Cielo

      Delete
  4. That table was meant to be yours for sure! It looks perfect in your room!
    I love to grow succulents. The birds and squirrels also love them for some reason. Luckily nothing bothers the roses except the deer when they show up. Hopefully they won't show up this Summer.(-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to have/see deer roaming around close to our home, but that has never happened! In a way, is better that way, as I hear they could be an annoyance... plus I'm terrified of deer ticks! ;)

      Good to see you Cindee!

      Cielo

      Delete
    2. No deer!

      Deer + mice = Ticks!

      I too, am terrified of ticks!

      Delete
  5. I do love succulents, but do not have good luck with them, other than the ordinary Hens and Chickens.
    The ones from Lowes and other garden shops cost a lot and are very touchy. Just the right amount of water and light. Three years ago, I spent nearly $100.00 on a pot already planted with a variety of succulents. Different colors and blooms and it was so beautiful. I got advice from the gardener there on where to put it and how to care of it. I Googled on how to care for them. It lasted about 4 months before it started dying.
    The next year, I bought them separately and planted them in an old bird bath and placed them where they would get sun all day. I guess they got too much rain because they died out within two months.
    I'm done with succulents. Keep us updated on how yours are doing--okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Judy... that's terrible! I get so frustrated when my plants die. And they don't come cheap either. I hope my succulents make it, I had this idea they were strong plants that would survive to anything, even negligence... but I guess not. I'll keep you informed!

      Cielo

      Delete
    2. I hope they do well for you. I just love them!

      Delete
  6. A mi me pasa como a ti meencanta pintar mis macetas aunque no me queden perfectas en la tuya se ven preciosas las suculentas yo tambien las tengo es como un vicio cada una que veo la quiero comprar me encantan tus rosas y tu jardin ahora te estarecompensando el trabajo que hicistes en el yo tambien tengo menta pero se descontrola mucho y hay que estar podando a cada mpmento sino te invade la estanteria me encanta es que no hay nada mas bonito que el estilo shaby chic me parece tan romantico bueno Cielo te deseo una feliz semana besos desde Galicia España

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Hola Pili! ¡Un besote! ¡Galicia! Me falta conocer Galicia. De pequeña, viví varios años en España con mis padres, y luego he vuelto dos veces junto con mi esposo, pero nunca he ido a Galicia. ¡Un día!
      ¡Gracias por pasar por aquí!

      Cielo

      Delete
  7. Lovely post. I might have to meander over to Lowes and give succulents a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... you'll love them! I know I need more! ;)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Cielo

      Delete
  8. I love the shelf. It was meant to be for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last year bought beautiful lillies
    Were Fine
    Was a wet wet year
    Then RED beetle bug decimated them all we crushed them with our fingers sprayed which we normally don't terrible
    So this sadly not buying any
    Finally found an Australian bottle brush thrived at our old house
    So have planted red the only one we could find
    Hope it will thrive
    Blessings Freydis x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful, thanks for sharing such beautiful post. You also can Buy planters online for home and garden.

    ReplyDelete