Friday, November 16, 2018

Thanksgivings

Our heater decided to stop working the other evening… we tried turning on our gas fireplace to warm up the house, but strangely, it wasn’t working either… then, we closed the door to our bedroom, went to sleep under heated blankets, and spent the most wonderful, cozy night ever.  In the morning, outside our bedroom the rest of the house felt freezing, as if the doors to the outsides had been left opened throughout the night. 

The heating and cooling systems guys came by that following morning around 10, and had everything working again.  The house started warming up slowly, but steadily, while my favorite music filled each room with the peaceful tales and musical tones of the Native American flute.


I watered and fertilized all my plants after that, making sure those that require the more humidity got properly misted too.  They are all doing wonderful, but trying to keep these many plants alive during our dry cold winters is not easy, I can tell you that...



Then, I decided to bake something extra yummy! Spinach and artichoke Puff Pastry Pinwheels!

And of course, a cup of coffee in a sprinkle of cinnamon to go with it too! 

 
What is it about cold weather that makes you want to bake?  Do you feel that way too?  Later, after I finished my morning snack I went upstairs to ‘declutter’ my gypsy room a bit…



I am super excited these days, because our Florida family will be spending an entire week with us this Thanksgivings—a miracle, I’d have to say!  You see, on all those long and forgotten past years since we lived here in the house in the roses they had never visited during our cold weather seasons.  In fact, this will be the very first time ever my sister Lissette and her husband will visit our northern home... she has a serious problem flying you know, and had never set a foot on an airplane again since that day an eternity ago when our little family came to the US from Spain.  She might have to be drugged to get here, but hopefully she’ll be fine.  We need a lot of prayers I can tell you that much!

She and her husband will be sleeping in our main guest room, but Papi (dad) will have to stay in my gypsy room the poor guy! Lol  


We bought two top mattresses, and made a daybed out of an old couch.  It feels super comfortable, and I know that because I've already slept there!  So I hope he'll like it too!


It feels so comfy and homely here, and I love it!  I love my bed placed against the wall.  Our bed in our master bedroom is nothing like that, but ever since I was a little girl I've always felt more secured and sheltered when my bed is placed against the wall.  I tend to sleep better, and I don't know why that is.


I don’t know how dad is going to take it, but I have a feeling that sleeping under the watchful eye of Frida Kahlo all night long it isn't going to be of his liking… 


...neither would be having to live among so many plants... all that amount of plants I had winterizing there!  Thus, I felt obliged to take part of my dear geraniums out and just let them succumb to the merciless cold nights outside.  What pity, but I didn’t have any other place to put them.


Is your Christmas tree up yet?  Have you been decorating for the holidays already?  I'll be super busy coking and washing lots of dishes for the entire next week, and possibly more because some of our kids are coming too!  But how very blessed I feel.

Is a sacred, joyful time of the year, but also a time of bittersweet moments too, and I already know that there will be moments when all of the happiness, all of the magic of these blissful hours will flow together into these stirring, bittersweet memories and will flow away, becoming temporal and transitory once more.  I miss you so much mom.  Nothing will ever be the same without you anymore.



5 comments:

  1. I'm sure your dad will just be happy to be with you! He will be able to overlook any decor that is not to his liking. Prayers for your sister and her fear of flying. The holidays will be bittersweet from here on out without your precious mama, but we must make the best of appreciating what we do still have and accept this is the cycle of life. My father died in 1977 when I was a senior in high school, and my mom died in 2010 at the age of 95. Although I lost my dad so young, I am grateful God let me have my beautiful mom for a very long time. Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a beautiful story, dear Joanie... thank you for sharing it with me and for the inspiration it brought me... a happy thanksgiving to you too!

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Que buena pinta tienen esas espirales yo hoy hice una trenza de hojaldre rellena de manzanas nueces y canela preciosa tu habitación gitana cualquiera estaría feliz durmiendo en ella seguro que tu padre también le deseo feliz vuelo a tu hermana que paséis un buen día besos desdeEspaña

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your sister had a safe and stress-free flight and that the family visit proves to be an enjoyable experience for all. Your spinach artichoke pinwheels look yummy. Recipe??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did! We had such a great time together. They are back home now and everything went fine, so I'm hoping she'll be less nervous traveling now and can come back again... ;) For the recipe, you can google puff pastry pinwheels recipes, there are so many good ones out there! ;)

      Thanks for visiting...

      Cielo

      Delete