Sunday, February 24, 2019

Back to Winterland

Is it normal to feel this depressed after a glorious vacation of warm Caribbean sun and marvelous beaches? I supposed it is, if you’d have to come back to Winterland again. 


Winter’s chill isn’t for everyone I supposed. So, back to my fleece pajamas and warm sheepskin slippers it is for me! 


I hear that on Wednesday while we were sunbathing in some of the most beautiful beaches in Nassau, here in our high desert snow was coming down in big flakes… and so much it snowed, that some of our schools had to be closed down for the day. Freezing rain and a lanky dark sky welcomed us back home. Dispositions are low and eyes are having a hard time getting used to this no-light no blue skies situation again; weakening down the spirits and wearing down old bodies. 


But of course, this could very well be just how I see things, because this sun loving creature that I am needs lots and lots of sunshine and a glorious tableau of many greens where to repose these eyes all year around.

Our winters here are yellowish-brown and bleak because of the type of trees we have. But when it snows the scenery changes and the land gets to wear its peaceful white garments and gleaming jewels of crystals, and it is beautiful and alluring everywhere you look. The little creatures, dwellers of the garden love this time of year too.


They don't seen to mind cold, cloudy days at all...


or think that our winters are too long, or too cold to take a bath...


And there is quite a different sort of conversation on a bare fence than there is in the shadow of a beech tree in summertime…


They don't complain either, like I do, about February being too long too cold too annoying.  They just do what they have to do, knowing that winter is like a brief pause in music, and that during that pause the musicians are privately tuning their strings, to prepare for the coming outburst.  I know, I have to learn from them!


We are high desert through and through, with the benefits of having nice mountains and forests close by, and a river running through town.  We are not desert like Vegas or Phoenix, but more like Reno and northern Nevada. And I can hardly wait to start seeing all those glorious tulip heads popping up everywhere in the garden. I'm so ready for warmer days and new buds on the lilac trees!  I am dreaming with roses... lots of roses, new roses, old roses and I'm thinking of planting Moonflowers and Morning Glory at the feet of climbing roses.  Would they take over the roses?  Would it be a bad idea?

We haven't brought our new trailer home yet, but soon, very soon it will be here and I will start decorating it in my favorite gypsy style.


The Fisherman will complain about everything I want to do there, all the things I want to hung from the ceilings and on walls and all the gypsy fabrics and tapestries I want to wrap our bedroom with, the cushions and floor pillows and bohemian gypsy décor.  All—he will complain about everything, and I will not have a care in the world whatsoever, and at the end he will agree with me and love the end results and feel pleased and delighted seeing me happy and cheerful like a little bird.  Men.  Don't we have love them! ;)


2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to how you decorate it. We are buying a camping trailer in June

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am counting the days I have left in this lovely silent season... I really adore all four seasons... Summer is most difficult but then... fresh tomatoes speak in its behalf. <3

    ReplyDelete