Tuesday, May 21, 2019

In the garden

Under the canopy of a cherry tree, I spend my days dreaming of some far away remote garden somewhere…


I know, it must be the amount of rain we’ve been experiencing for the past few weeks, which had transformed the garden in a green, lush shadowy world of sorts… so much, that I have started believing that perhaps we may be living in another world… and sometimes, even catching glimpses far off of Lórien?

 

Passing through this narrow pathway onto the garden it truly is pure magic… the scent of the Korean lilac resembling honey with a wistful nutty trace linger and saturates the garden, imbuing the senses...


All the hostas have come back… Hostas with golden foliage, blue-leaved hostas, all beautiful and dense and larger than ever... I love hostas, in the ground, in pots and in all forms!


The first roses have started to open... every color every shape of roses... what a delightful sight they are to me...


Windows are covered in them...


Each precious bud opening fast


Almost in front of your eyes!


Statues are wearing shinning necklaces...


There is a bench in the back of my garden shaded by Virginia creeper, climbing roses, and a white pine where I sit early in the morning and watch the action. Light blue bells of a dwarf campanula drift over the rock garden just before my eyes. Behind it, a three-foot stand of aconite is flowering now, each dark blue cowl-like corolla bowed for worship or intrigue: thus its common name, monkshood. Next to the aconite, black madonna lilies with their seductive Easter scent are just coming into bloom. At the back of the garden, a hollow log, used in its glory days for a base to split kindling, now spills white cascade petunias and lobelia. Mary Rose O'Reilley, The Barn at the End of the World


This is my sanctuary, a peaceful place to escape to and a space in which to create magic, but magical gardening does take time, focus and attention.  You can’t just plant something and leave it in the hope that several months later it will have grown, flourished and be covered in flowers; although, on the odd occasion it does happen I would have to say!  Over the last year upon our return to this old house in the roses I’ve been constantly working in my garden and I have packed it full of as many plants, flowers and herbs as I can cram into it.  I even created a very small teeny tiny pond that it is looking marvelous… but, that I will have to show it to you on my next post… for now, let us keep working, caring and loving our special place; you will not be disappointed.  Nature always pays back.


5 comments:

  1. You have a magical retreat.

    But you have worked, for it.

    And continue to work at it.

    But oh the happy results!!!!

    ✨✨✨✨

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, and a lovely new Header!!!

    I love to notice Headers.

    I wonder if anyone else does..... :-)

    I usually change mine often. But the one I have and have had, is just so lovely to me, that for a change, I am not frequently changing.

    It's the most delicate black and white illustration, of a magical scene. -happy sigh-

    ✨✨✨✨

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to go see... right now!

    Hugs and beautiful days in the garden to you!

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos. Blessings. 😃

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is perfect. Best wishes, lovely lady!

    ReplyDelete