Thursday, July 11, 2019

My little pond

Oh lovely little pond… 


 Actually, lovely ‘second’ little pond…   


Yes, this is the second little pond I have made… If you can remember, I built my first one on that winter immediately after we moved back to the house in the roses.  But, because we needed to make space to park our gypsy caravan, it had to be dismantled the following year... 

It was sad having to retrace time by demolishing what time itself had already perfected… but it was what it was.... and thus, every rock and every little stone had to be removed; every iris and garden phlox uprooted from that area back to nothing.


But every dark cloud has it silver lining, right!  Which means, my next little pond was going to be even better!…  'cause yes, I was going to make another one!  And this time, I was going to make it right by using the right materials.

So, after the new fence was built and painted, I started working on my new little pond.  And this time, instead of using regular trash bags as my reservoir like I did with my first one, I got a sturdy pond form that it doesn’t get poked or stained by dirt and it holds the water perfectly without draining it.


Every year this little pond goes to a lengthy transformation as seasons come and go…



 Always different always beautiful… 

 
 

And home to many of my friendly critter friends…


A reflecting eye, a miniature garden pond, or a wildlife pond, or mirror pond whatever you want to call it, is a striking and beautiful addition to any garden.  Elaborate or simple, water features can be both soothing and eye-catching additions.  Although some may cost thousands of dollars, many can be created easily and inexpensively with just a little elbow grease. I love mine, and would make another one if I had to without even thinking!  

You want a little pond in your garden?  Go ahead and make one for yourself!  It doesn't have to be big or elaborate, it doesn't have to have a pump either... make sure you plant lots of plants around it and make it look as natural as you can... then, sit and enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. It's perfect!
    I love the duck sitting there. I had to look twice because it looked so real.
    I have made many ponds over the years. They are always so fun to create. I am glad you made a new one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are lovely. I just found that you have a new site. On this page, https://littlewhitecottageinwoods.blogspot.com/2014/06/roses-and-painted-mason-jars.html, I commented... I know this post is old, but I hope someone will still be able to help me.
    I am trying to gather some beautiful garden items to make a Victorian/Neoclassical Garden at my antebellum BnB, in memory of my amazing husband who passed away 9 years tomorrow. :( In searching the internet for statuary and garden items I have come across your charming blog. I am interested in the cutest cherub I have ever seen, in the 4th and 5th pictures on this post. I also saw it peeking out of a birdbath on another page. Can anyone tell me where I could find one or two of these cherub busts that I might be able to purchase for my memorial garden? I have an antebellum home and a BnB and this will fit beautifully. I would appreciate it so very much! Many Blessings! Burnette

    ReplyDelete