Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Spring anticipation...

I’ve worked my fingers to the bones in the garden these last few weeks, my hands are calloused, my skin dried and my body ache, but my little heart is singing the songs of spring and summer, and my lips have regained the sign of joy.


All those iris bulbs I’d dug out are now replanted in some other parts of the garden—around the swing, a massive showing of them will be blooming this summer.  That old swing, which I am eager to use this year.  To use it a lot, I hope… finally, because now I won’t be afraid of snakes or any other unknown creature coming out of the woods behind me to attack, just as I used to think back when we lived in our little white cottage.   But of course, you can see why!


On Saturday I was finally able to tackled the entrance of the garden, and I have cleaned and prepared all flowerbeds there.  I also removed every pugnacious weed that was growing among the pea pebbles.  I can hardly wait now to shop for plants, bulbs and flowers to fill this space with; a space that had always been one of my favorite, if not my favorite of all parts of the garden here at the house in the roses. 

There’s a ‘Don Juan’ climbing rose growing on the side of the wall, and there’s also a grapevine, and one or two Knockout roses.  And by the fence, on the other side on that same space, there’s a Virginia creeper vine that has grown abundantly, and now is covering part of the fence, just as I’d trained it to do so many years ago.  There’s also a miniature rose growing there too.  Grasses, and black-eyed Susans used to grow there.  I can't hardly wait to see what will be coming out of the earth in this space… what flowers and roses, what leaf and whatnots, just to amaze me, and gift me with wings under my breath. 


How lovely.  How very lovely spring is in these parts of the world.  When you really miss something, the anticipation of seeing it coming back to you is like a miracle of sorts.  And you wait for it to be revealed onto your soul in a million desires, and it is the most precious, glorious thing on earth ever.  I don’t use to miss or marveled about the coming of spring when we lived in the South, and I guess it was because I never had to miss it.  Really miss it.  It was never robbed from us in its entirety.  We always had it with us.  In a way.

Birds, and doves have finally found the birdfeeders, and I cannot express well enough or beautiful enough how very happy they make me.  I miss my cardinals of the south, but what true joy the mourning doves are—like a pure jewel in the color of clouds.     




 Squirrels too! 


The other day I received a most interesting email… It was from the girl who bought our little white cottage.  And with the nicest message too… she reads my blog she said, and wanted to tell me how the gardens at the little white cottage are doing and how she found a green buffet just like the one I had in the kitchen, so that part of the house remains the same.  “And this is what the cottage looks like in the snow. And the garden is already starting to come back to life with the spring coming this way. I’ve been working hard getting weeds pulled and things pruned back. The hydrangeas are already starting to get green leaves on them. And the vines over the railing on the back patio have beautiful yellow flowers on them. I know how much you enjoyed this garden and how you made it so beautiful I want to continue its beauty. I’ve been reading your blogs on the new house and you’re going to have such a beautiful garden there :) I can’t wait to see pictures when its finished and all bloomed”. 

Wasn’t that extra nice of her!  I even got some pics to remind me of how lovely spring was at the little white cottage.  Thank YOU, my friend!




6 comments:

  1. How lovely, of the new owner of your little white cottage! To write to you and to even send photos. To tell you that she is working, on continuing the garden work you did there. What a joy for you, to know.

    Lovely... Lovely.... Lovely....

    Has she considered a blog of her own...? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish she would! Wouldn't that be awesome--to continue the story of the little white cottage? And yes, it was very nice of her!

      Cielo

      Delete
  2. So happy to hear the birds and squirrel/squirrels have found you. Now you will be needing a bigger bag of food. Also they love sunflower seeds so you could give them a few handfuls of those every now and then too(-: My wildlife is spoiled here. I feed them all. It was also nice to hear that the new owner is taking good care of you home/garden at the white cottage. She must be very happy there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the blessing everyone hopes for -to hear positively from the new owner of a home/garden they have loved. Wonderful! And here in the north, I always believe we "earn" our spring with the gray days of winter. I'm farther north than you and look forward to clearing my gardens of the winter debris. We still have weeks before anything will be green again - but oh how it is worth the wait! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to hear joy in your voice! Spring is a miracle! Your yard, birds, squirrels and all of nature knows that CIELO IS BACK!
    As for the little white cottage, I am happy to hear that the new owner is appreciating the beauty and will maintain it and add to it!
    GREAT NEWS TODAY!

    ReplyDelete