Thursday, September 5, 2019

End of summer

How beautiful.  How very beautiful the garden looks on these last days of summer.  It lingers, its glories linger under the golden sun the end of early September, and roses seem to be saying “one more change! 








So, some of them are in bloom again. And what a lovely spectacle they are in the heat of the day in their beautiful pink crowns.  I have pulled out a lot of the phlox that was overcrowding a certain space in the garden and I’m thinking that next spring I want to see here more black-eyed Susan instead...


 



Birds seem to love this corner.  I can’t tell exactly what they have going on there, but I like to think that perhaps that’s their shopping center, or their dance club where they all come together for dance, music and socializing. It knows no borders. 





Their complex houses, where single-and-married birds and their families live, however, must be on far west of the opposite side of the garden.  There’s a tree there where dozens of birds hide, and you can hear the upheaval of their merriment and chirpings as they come and go.  But now that I’m thinking about it, perhaps this place is not really their home, but rather their worship place, or church where they surely must play an array of instruments and sing songs without stopping, for the ruckus is prodigious and the merriment great.



Two of the Quaking Aspens I had added to the garden since we moved back to our house in the roses have not grown much, and this is the second year since planted for one of them.  By now, I have lost almost all hope of seeing them making it, and I am thinking that perhaps they might have to be replaced next spring.  Quaking Aspens are such a graceful addition to any backyard with their pale bark and ‘quaking’ leaves that sounds like tiny bells on a breezy afternoon.  They are inexpensive trees, and tend to grow fast.

The Tartarian Maple hasn’t improved, or grown as fast as I had hoped for in a year… what a disappointment it had proved to be thus far, for I was hoping for a fast coverup of the two-story house right behind our fence…. As it is, we continued on being exposed and subjected to unwanted vigilance.  One day… one day I’ll have my little jungle all lush and luxuriant and I won’t have to see this anymore…

The grapevines are heavy with grapes that are ripping more and more each day and I have seen a foreign bird picking from them already.  



I don’t want these last days of summer to ever end.  I want to continue sitting here and let my soul drink in the view and glories I see and hear and feel, but I must obey the reasoning of the seasons and I must start thinking of sweaters and cozy banquets, and the fire pit in the back porch is ready for cooler mornings and chilly evenings. I’d let my heart dream, and I’d let my wings take flight.  In the meantime, I’ll remain right here where I am, enjoying my little life away.







No comments:

Post a Comment