Tuesday, December 18, 2018

The ape in the roof

Days are brief and gloomy, and the sun seems to have gathered up its bags and gone to live somewhere else.  From morning, to evening, clouds hang low and dark-gray in the vast expanse and, following the same sluggishness in which hours travel through the landscape of my days, I too move slow—desperately trying to rise up from the haze which blinds my eyes and stretch out over my head like a crown of night-dreams. In fact, the lack of light during winter is so influential on my moods and energy that I feel as if another woman had inhabited my body.


To be able to subsist, to restore my soul, I need warmth and sun, and I need my precious hours in the garden alongside birds and the Black-eyed Susans.  But, alas, what is there to see, or do right now?  As it is, I haven’t set foot in the garden in a very long while.  Last night, and the night before that, I heard the wind cry outside trashing things around and slamming off gates, and it was so cold that even the stars turned cerulean blue and went on hiding.  


By five pm is already dark around here, and night falls upon your little world suddenly and brutal.  No, I’m not a pessimist, really, I’m not. I just suffer from what some called a Seasonal Affective Disorder, always had and always will, I guess… but the good thing about all this is that I’m also a dreamer with some magical winter tales to spin, so wont ’ya come in and sit by my fire!  Oh yes, do come in and stay as long as you like!


Now that I don’t have a magical forest anymore, I haven’t seen any witch prying around like I used to back at our little white cottage, but don’t you go on thinking I’m free of incidents of the bizarre nature here, oh no my dears, my witches may have refused to moved north with me, but I have been sightseeing some other type of creature lurking around these days… probably more dangerous than an insipid old witch… you take a look at this 'thing' I saw walking on the neighborhood roofs the other day, and tell me what you're seeing here, because I really really think this is an ape!


Yes, yes I’m not kidding you… I’m talking about Caesar from the Planet of the Apes!  He was here lurking through our neighborhood walking on roofs and backyards the other evening.  I went outside to watch the sun come down, and instead I saw this knuckle-walking think up above the roofs moving very fast... As you can imagine I was invaded with doubts, and shock, and pondered if I was really seeing what I was seeing. An ape?  See the cone head, the strong upper body, and disproportionately long arms for one's body?... ape arms for sure, and the way he was moving!  Truly creepy.

What do you all think? I have always said: “And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” Roald Dahl. 


3 comments:

  1. Did you ask your neighbor about the creature on the roof? Looks like it could be a monkey Do you have a zoo nearby? I am curious now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindee! We have come to the conclusion that it was one of our neighbors working on his Christmas lights up on his roof, a few houses down the road. He was trying to help himself keep his balance by using his hands. You can't really see his feet because they are behind the taller part of the roof on the other side... is all an optical illusion they say. It had to be, because we don't leave anywhere near a zoo... and I hope it wasn't Caesar looking for a place to stay! Whatever it was, from that day on I always make sure all our windows remain well locked... buah!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Cielo

      Delete
  2. My first thought it had to be some guy up on his roof, then I got caught up in your fantasy and WOW, I decided it looked a lot like King Kong! It certainly moves like an Ape.

    ReplyDelete